Friday, November 6, 2015

About to start a genuine Watson Project

I talk about Watson l lot.  So far, except for using Watson Analytics for structured data analysis, I haven't actually used Watson or any of the API's for unstructured data analysis.
I've seen them.  

I've read about them.  
I've studied them.
But I haven't used them.  

All that is about to change.  Very soon I'm embarking on a true "cognitive" project.  Its both exciting and frightening at the same time.  

Exciting because I LOVE new technologies, especially ones that change our world.  Watson's ability to analyze paragraphs of text and return answers to questions, learning as it goes along, is nothing short of amazing.  

Frightening because it represents change.  Unknown change.  I read articles every day about robots taking our jobs, replacing the functions we humans perform every day.  

I've reconciled my thoughts by realizing that Watson can help us do what we don't do well, and support us in the things we do well.   I cant quote war and piece, but Watson can do it for me.  Watson  can hold a conversation, but it doesn't have the charm and ability to connect with people the way I do.


Time will tell how this works out, but for one thing, it will be an amazing ride.

Who I'll be reporting to, if I'm not replaced







No comments:

Post a Comment