Friday, June 12, 2015

Thinking of ways to apply Watson technologies

So Watson isn't just the computer that competed on Jeopardy! I've come to realize.  I have conversations all the time where I am getting flushed with excitement over the use of Watson and what it can do.  I guess you can say that I'm looking at the world through Watson colored lenses.  I find myself looking at problems where it's obvious that applying Watson technologies can provide for a better outcome.

I live here in San Angelo, in the desert of West Texas, a community of about 100,000.  What's interesting about this area is that there is more barren land than population.  Although the density of people is outnumbered by livestock, communities of people dot the thousands of square miles out here in the edge of the desert.

How does Watson fit in?  The other day I was doing some research on this area concerning water (a very important topic here in the desert, especially when they report when you might run out of it and it's before your next birthday) and I realized there are multiple municipalities, agencies, departments, communities, citizens, authorities.....you get the idea...talking about weather and water.  I thought to myself, if you collate all of the unstructured (paragraph type data) data that was contained on websites, in city council meeting transcripts, and in blog posts on various forums, guess what you'd have?  A 360 degree view of all of the information, conversations, and most importantly DATA around this lifesaving topic.  Q and A type search each on what can be done to help, understand or find solutions. What Google did for searching websites Watson can do for searching ideas.

I have thoughts like these every day how the world can be changed with this technology.  It's kind of like when you see something you can't "unsee" it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment