Monday, June 8, 2015

The journey begins

Yours truly with a replica of the original Watson that
competed on Jeopardy!
Life with IBM Watson

As you may recall, back in 2011, IBM's Watson computer competed on Jeopardy! and kicked the snot out of Ken Jennings and Brad Rutter, the two highest money winners in Jeopardy! history.

Fast forward 4 years and the super computer we know as Watson has matured, and can do more than just win at Jeopardy!

I was introduced to Watson at IBM's first World of Watson in Brooklyn New York's Navy Yard at the Duggal Greenhouse.  This warehouse sized greenhouse, only accessible to us via water taxi (IBM execs arrived by black sedan), at the 36th street pier hosted each and every offering IBM now has for its Watson group.  Why was I there?  I was there to present on one of Watson's come lately offerings, Watson Analytics.  Being sort of a early adopter in all things IBM analytics, I proved to have made some cool insights from some data sets the IBM wanted to showcase, and with a free trip to NYC, who was I to argue?

Little did I know that by attending this conference would I experience some life-changing technology.  Sure, the dancing robot that did the Macarena was super cool, but the fact that a super computer was doing so much to improve our world, I instantly became hooked on everything that is Watson.

This is my first blog entry, and I hope it sets the stage for the adventure I'm on in using Watson for as many things as I can to improve my life.  I mean, who doesn't think its really cool to integrate some technology where none was before?  Cutting edge can be fun, can't it?






No comments:

Post a Comment